Monday 6 July 2020

The Books that Made Me - Ms Peters

We are asking members of staff to share ‘the books that made them’.  Below are the choices of our very own Ms Peters.


I book I am currently reading is:  
Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. It’s a super cute romcom that I fell in love with from the first page

My favourite book as a child:
I got Sabriel by Garth Nix at a school book fair at primary school. It’s the first fantasy book I remember reading and I still go back and read it now and then because it’s so good.

The last book that made me cry was:
A Silent Voice by Yoshitoki Oima. The first volume is all about a boy bullying a deaf girl until she transfers to a new school at which point the bullying turns on himThe rest of the series focuses on the complex relationship between the two of them and their friends/bullies. It’s heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time for so many reasons. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

The last book that made me laugh:
Deadendia: The Watcher’s Test by Hamish Steele nails my sense of humour. It’s sort of like Scooby Doo but if they were way more diverse and worked at a Dollywood inspired theme park. And the monster of the week is an actual monster. And Scooby Doo can talk because he was possessed by a demon once.

My comfort read is:
Know Not Why by Hannah Johnson is my go to comfort read. Whenever I’m not sure what to read next or I need a pick me up I read this again. It’s about a guy that gets a job at a craft shop to meet women but who ends up falling for the guy that owns the shop. It’s such a cute story it always makes me feel happy.

The one book I think everyone should read is:
The ABCs of LGBT+ by Ashley Mardell. Regardless of how much or how little you may know about the subjectIt’s so accessible and yet so comprehensive. It’s great to see so much attention focused on lesser known identities and to read the many #ownvoices contributions throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome back!

Welcome to 2024 ! Hope you had a good break and enjoyed some brilliant books.  For those of you who need some encouragement, there are some ...