Tuesday 23 May 2023

First Story Young Writers 2023 - news

We are delighted to announce that one of our First Story Young Writers, Micah in Year 9, has been awarded third prize in the First Story Young Writers 100 Word Story competition The judges received over 550 entries and commented on this year's impressive standard. Micah will receive a prize book bundle and certificate.

All the winning entries can be read on the First Story website by clicking here.  Micah's winning entry also appears below:

I suffered in silence, day after day. Aching to extend my finger one more time and let my nail scrape one more record. I missed the feeling. The slow spin of the disc under me as the vibration ran up my arm. I yearned to hear Stevie once again, a voice like warm hugs from long-lost friends. I wanted to hear my song and to be celebrated once more. By dance and food; by men and women. But I knew it would never happen. I had known it since the very day my owners packed up, leaving me behind.

Congratulations are also due to two other First Story Young Writers.  Millie S in Year 10, who has successfully secured a place on the First Story Summer Residential this year.  This is a fully-funded, week-long writing retreat for students who have shown great potential over the course of the year and it takes place in the idyllic Lumb Bank writing centre in West Yorkshire.  

And finally, Rose's (Year 10) design has been chosen for the cover of this year's First Story Young Writers' anthology, which will be launched in July.  We will be holding a special event to mark the occasion in the Upper Library with students, parents and staff.

A big thank you to Rachel Seiffert, our amazing writer in residence for her brilliant work with our young writers this year and to Emma Leahy from First Story for her support and encouragement, and also to Carrie Sweeney, who has been working with Rachel and our young writers this year.  Thanks also go to Miss Koca, our Lead Teacher on this fantastic creative writing programme, without whom this enrichment would not have been able to run.

Copies of last year's anthology are available to borrow from the Upper Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome back!

Welcome to 2024 ! Hope you had a good break and enjoyed some brilliant books.  For those of you who need some encouragement, there are some ...